Thursday, June 26, 2008

In Which: the librarian goes on a walk with a high school buddy

What kind of a person returns a poetry book to you after 30 years? An old friend, that's who.

A couple of years ago I received an email from Lisa Dean, with whom I graduated from Southwest High School in 1974. She wanted to know my address, because she had a book to return to me. I knew the book exactly: by Canadian poet Mariam Waddington. I didn't remember the title, just that it had a poem called "The Eight-Sided Barn." I had never forgotten the book, and Lisa hadn't either. She sent it back in an envelope that I had sent her over 20 years before, with a picture I'd drawn of Montana with a star for Whitefish, so she'd know where I was.

We got together this morning, where Sheridan Ave. hits Lake Harriet, and took a walk around the lake. The shorelines of the lakes in Minneapolis are all public property. You can still have a big house "on the lake" (across the street), but the bike paths and walking paths, beaches and shorelines are public. Having grown up with that resource, it irks me that Whitefish Lake is ringed with private homes. It's a huge mistake and a disservice to the community to develop lakefront that way.

It was so reaffirming to catch up with Lisa. She told me about graduating from St. Catharine's this spring with her daughter: here's a picture of four generations of Dean women. We plan to walk again Saturday, this time with her granddaughter. Here's to good, old friendships!

Hey, speaking of toasts, I'm planning on making this recipe from today's Taste section in the StarTribune. I'll let you know how it goes!
posted by the librarian

No comments: