Sunday, August 3, 2008

In Which: a large tomato is named in my honor.

Well, I could tell something was going on. I heard the librarian and her pals saying "fatty" but it didn't really seem to require my attention. Besides, I was busy.








Finally they came out with it. They appeared to think that a large tomato growing in the garden was a remarkable event.


Of course, they correlated one remarkable event with another remarkable item: Me. So, naturally, they spent quite a bit of time fussing over it.


And, well, they had to commemorate the event in some way. What better way than to anoint the fruit with a splendiforous moniker: Behold, Fatty Tomato!

It weighed in at one pound, ten oz. I gave it my official blessing:

And then it was anointed with olive oil, and...eaten, along with fresh basil, balsamic vinegar, minced onion and garbanzo beans. But not by me. I celebrated with kitty treats. Much better and they were organic, too. Slurrpp!

9 comments:

Nancy said...

OOOOOO FK!
Didn't you want some? I do! Our tomatoes are all smaller and green. Drat it anyway. A lady I used to know taught me how to eat Tomatoes. Bread, mayo and tomato. That's it. Nothing else, well, some salt. YUM-OH!
NC

Mary Drew said...

But what about "tomato toast"? Toast, butter, tomato slice. That's it. Nothing else. I remember you making that for Christy when she was a wee nipper.

PJ the Fatty Kitty said...

I prefer the "greenies" that were recommended to me by AbbietheKitty. She has good taste. Reooowwww!

Nancy said...

Tomato toast can be made with inferior tomatoes. The toast somehow overcomes the taste. The classic 'Beth's Tomato Sandwich' made with (less tasty) white bread must have a homegrown tomato to be all it can be.
So sayeth NC

Mary Drew said...

Oh, you know who used to eat tomato sandwiches by the buckets? Harriet the Spy! How could we forget Harriet?

Nancy said...

Gosh I don't remember that about Harriet. But then I haven't read one of her books for 30 years. Or is it 40? I better go check it out. I think I have one in the mystery section of my bookcase.
Love,
N.

Mary Drew said...

You have a "mystery section?" Egad. BTW, aren't you afraid that bookcase in the guest bedroom is going to fall down and crush something? It's pretty scary looking.

Mary Drew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancy said...

Today we had a fatty tomato salad and I thought of you. I added chopped fresh parsley to it also