Sunday, December 14, 2008

In Which: I become a Useful Item.

I am suddenly in demand. It appears that when the weather is cold enough, I am requested - no, I am begged - to come and sleep next to the librarian. Apparently it's not enough anymore to have a rice bag at the feet, and a hot water bottle in the Arctic regions (what she'd call her rear, but I Know Better. It's positively glacial.)


At any rate, the temperature hovers just below zero, this 1919 house is so charming and inefficient that it hovers ten degrees below the thermostat, and pretty little frost climbs up the charming wood-framed storm windows. And we wish the current Daily Inter-Lake editor's columns were included in the ground-up newspaper that is currently the sole insulation between the walls. Then there would be a lot more hot air in here.


The librarian took this picture to show how the snow slides off our roof faster than any other house on the block - because we have so much more heat escaping is the complaint.



Well,
I'm doing my part. Of course, if I were fed more, I could become fatter and therefore a better source of heat. I think a little cream might even be called for. I think I'll pour on a little Fatty Kitty Charm. Excuse me. I must wander into the kitchen and state my case.

3 comments:

abigail said...

Feed the poor Fatty Kitty oh you librarian you. Poor thing is down there on the floor and heat RISES you know.
Love,
AtK

Ree said...

Editorial insulation: That's brilliant, Fatty Kitty! What a witty feline you are, as well as being extremely handsome! (I love the way that your latest portrait features your pearly whites.)

Unknown said...

Fatty Kitty, your neighborhood looks so much like mine in Kalispell! I live in a 100 year old house but mine is pretty warm and holds the snow on the roof. P.S. My name is Wessah and my owners put me on their blog in a silly costume for Thanksgiving.